Anyway, to date things have been rather challenging. I spent several days overseas at the university where I'm enrolled in for my PhD...days filled with academic workshops, conversations and networking with likemindeds, and of course eating and drinking rather a lot! Much fun. Hubby picked me up from the airport after midnight on the Sunday and updated me on the awful news; that his oncology team now consider his cancer incurable...short of a miracle. The word 'palliative' was mentioned. This was news that poor hubby had been sitting on for days, determined not to ruin my trip for me. I feel awful he kept it quiet but at least he did share it with his folks, so they could support him while I was away.
Naturally, this has been a devastating blow. Yet I remain in my binary state; half denial/hope, half pragmatic. It's a safe place for me to be.
So now we live. We go to work, watch movies, make life as normal as possible for our son. We go fishing, walking, coffees out, dinner dates. We enjoy ourselves and each other.
While standard chemo has now ceased, since it's just not working to suppress the aggressive metasticising, he is about to start radiation to target the primary tumour in his bowel. While his liver was previously resected, and has since regenerated, there is now a new lesion there, in the old bit, but they tell us that's fixable. The lungs are the issue; five nasty lesions have made themselves at home. Why not irradiate them? Well, that's a possibility...perhaps. Hopefully. We will have to see.
Chin up, buttercup.

No comments:
Post a Comment