Thursday, October 15, 2015

Starting over, cancer, juggling, weight loss...

I started this wee blog in 2013 and went no further than an earnest entry reviewing a particular facial highlighter (yes, I like cosmetics.  A lot. If I don't use them, I look like Hagrid's twin sister). I've left said original entry in just for the sake of history. However, recent events (my husband's devastating diagnosis of stage 4 bowel cancer) have prompted me to try again; for my own mental preservation more than anything! I'll see how I get on.

This will not be academic. I do a lot of that between the hours of 9 and 4. I love my academic life  of teaching, research, conferences and collabs but I want to keep this wee blog, shall we say, life-style-oriented. So I'm juggling this, motherhood to a wonderful 8yo boy, am a full time academic, doing my PhD...all whilst drinking foamy flat whites and trying not to shop too much. A little nuts? Probably.

It's Spring, here. I've been rediscovering certain wardrobe pieces. Somewhat gutted to discover those things I wore last summer are tight! Some accursed wardrobe sprite has been at work, shrinking my clothes. A sprite we'll call Cake, I'll confess. I'll admit, this winter has meant a lot of time sitting in hospitals, eating hospital cafe muffins, washed down with hospital cafe coffee (the latter is proving rather good, I'll concede). This has meant that my previously rather decent hips once again have their own sidecars. Sigh. So I'm back on the wagon...with a catch. Last summer I tried calorie counting. It worked. I dropped from a NZ12/14 to an 8/10. I didn't have tonnes to lose, but my hips looked less saddlebaggy and I dropped a cup size. Plus, colleagues let me know they could see a difference.  Great, right? Yes and no. I did something wrong; I'm thinking I didn't eat enough and deprived myself of essential nutrients. My hair thinned! Lots came out when I washed it. No one noticed, I don't think...but I sure did. This means that while I'm watching my cals again in prep for summer ( just around the corner) I'm relaxing it a bit; in the interest of some sustainability: higher daily caloric total, NO obsessive measuring, and only six days a week at this stage. Sundays are mine! I'll see how I fare. Really, it's just portion control (i.e. there's still cake and chocolate), but this time I'm eyeballing portions, no weighing. And no weighing! Goodbye scales. I'll see how I go! To health and happiness (and slimmer hips). 😏


No comments:

Post a Comment